Home / Local / NZ home buyer repair scheme extended
29 June 2020
New Zealand’s Earthquake Commission (EQC) has extended the deadline for owners of on-sold properties in Canterbury needing repairs to apply for government funding.
The deadline has been pushed out by two months to October 14 for people who purchased houses before mid-August and then discovered unrepaired earthquake damage.
“This is the last chance for Canterbury homeowners who bought a property after the earthquakes to apply for Government assistance to get their homes repaired,” CEO Sid Miller said.
EQC has already received more than 1000 applications since it put aside $NZ300 million ($280 million) for the scheme last year. Homeowners can apply for a Government grant through EQC.
Mr Miller says potential homebuyers should do thorough research on homes for sale in Canterbury, and they should also invest in a pre-purchase inspection to identify any necessary repairs.