Home / Breaking News / QBE names new Group CEO
3 March 2021
QBE has appointed Andrew Horton as its new permanent Group CEO, replacing interim chief Richard Pryce in September.
Mr Horton is currently CEO at UK listed insurer Beazley, and has held the role since 2008. Prior to that he was Beazley CFO.
Beazley is a specialist insurance business with operations in Europe, the US, Asia and Australia. It manages five Lloyd's syndicates and last year underwrote gross premiums of more than $US3.5 billion ($4.49 billion).
Mr Horton will start with QBE on September 1 based in Sydney.
Chairman Mike Wilkins says QBE is delighted to attract a “high calibre” global executive with more than 30 years’ experience across insurance and banking.
“Andrew is an inclusive and collaborative executive, who places a strong focus on risk, culture and relationships. He is known for driving positive change and high performance and has built a well-respected business over a number of years,” Mr Wilkins said.
“His deep understanding of the insurance landscape and the opportunities and challenges across each of our markets, see him well placed to build QBE for the future.”
After Mr Horton takes up the role, Mr Pryce will move to an advisory capacity, providing a three month leadership transition before retiring from QBE in December.
Mr Pryce took up the interim role last year after previous group CEO Pat Regan left the business suddenly following an external investigation concerning workplace communications that revealed “poor judgment”.
Last month QBE appointed Westpac insurance head Sue Houghton as its Australia and Pacific CEO, effective from August.
Mr Horton’s appointment is subject to regulatory approvals.
Event calendar »