Skip to content

Brought to you by:
Email Print

Hobart region storm losses pass $45 million

Losses from storms in the Hobart area last month have jumped to $45.12 million as the clean-up continues.

The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) says 6746 claims have been received, with about 93% for domestic policies.

“Claims are still being lodged and the cost is continuing to grow,” GM Risk Karl Sullivan said.

He says the storms highlight the need for quality flood mapping in Tasmania, to inform communities and set risk-based insurance prices.

“The recent announcement by the Tasmanian Government [that it will] carry out state-wide flood mapping is a positive step towards managing this community risk and has been welcomed by the insurance industry,” he said on LinkedIn.

ICA will hold two forums in the region this week for householders and business owners with claims.

The first is in Kingston tomorrow and the second is in Hobart on Thursday. Both start at 7pm.

Kingborough Council and the State Government held a recovery expo last week for people affected by the extreme weather. ICA and housing, legal and welfare groups were represented.

Registration for the ICA forums is required by noon tomorrow. Details are available here.

Brought to you by:
Insurance Jobs Brought to you by: