Wherever possible we will give customers the opportunity to interact anonymously with us. We will only collect personal information directly from our customers if it is reasonable and practical to do so.
We will only collect personal information that is necessary for the functions or activities of insuranceNEWS.com.au.
We will always use fair and lawful ways to collect personal information from you and will seek consent when/if collecting sensitive information (unless specified exemptions apply).
At the time we collect personal customer information or as soon as practicable afterwards, we will take reasonable steps to make an individual aware of the following:
- why we are collecting information about customers;
- who else we might give it to; and
- other specified matters.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure the individual is aware of this information even if we have collected it from someone else.
McMullan Conway Communications Pty Ltd will only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose of collection unless one of the exceptions in National Privacy Principles (NPP) 2.1 applies (for example, for a related secondary purpose within the individual's reasonable expectations, you have consent or there are specified law enforcement or public health and public safety circumstances). Note that:
- If the information is sensitive the uses or disclosures allowed are more limited. A secondary purpose within reasonable expectations must be directly related and the direct marketing provisions of NPP 2.1(c) do not apply.
- We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information collected, use or disclosure is accurate, complete and up-to-date. This may require us to occasionally correct or update the information.
- We will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is longer needed for any purpose for which you may have used or disclosed the information.
- If a customer asks, we will take reasonable steps to let them know what sort of personal information we hold, what purposes we hold it for and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
- If a customer asks we will give access to the personal information we hold about them unless particular circumstances apply that allow us to limit the extent to which we give access - these include emergency situations, specified business imperatives and law enforcement or other public interests.